Microsoft SQL Database Engineer to work in our Alexandria, Virginia office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your management skills helping the Information Technology Enterprise Managed Services (ITEMS) User Facing Services (UFS) mission at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). In this mission, we provide NGA with a bridge to the future, strengthening critical ISP services to mission users, harnessing the capacity of current and emerging Intelligence Community Information Technology Enterprise (IC ITE) services, and delivering the Power of GEOINT into the hands of users supporting critical time-sensitive missions. Our team operates and sustains UFS for NGA, provide continuous improvement in the effectiveness and efficiency of UFS, implement special orders to rapidly support mission needs without disrupting daily operations and posture NGA to transition to future IC DTE service offerings.
The UFS Microsoft SQL Database Engineer is responsible for installing and configuring SQL, leveraging monitoring utilities to maximize availability while minimizing false alarms and deploying database change scripts provided by developers and third-party vendors in the areas of VDI, Infrastructure and SharePoint services. This position will review options and determine effective ways to increase performance, including making hardware or VM recommendations, server configuration changes, index, SQL query and/or database structure changes. This position will also provide support for scheduled maintenance, upgrades, outages and unexpected interruptions of service.
• Install and configure new Microsoft SQL Server instances, including AlwaysOn availability groups and failover clustering.
• Install SQL Server service packs and updates.
• Configure and manage SQL Security settings and apply STIG settings.
• Make system design recommendations according to Microsoft SQL Server best practices.
• Manage database backup & recovery & DR planning.
• Create, modify, and optimize SQL Server Agent jobs and maintenance plans.
• Proactively monitor SQL Server maintenance tasks, troubleshoot failed jobs and resolve issues in a timely manner.
• Utilize SQL Server Policy Based Management to validate configurations across the enterprise.
• Troubleshoot application slowness and performance issues.
• Responsible for T-SQL index & query tuning, and optimizing queries/indexes for very large databases, 30+ million record tables, multi-terabyte databases.
• Responsible for database migrations and server upgrades.
• Create and edit technical documentation as requested according to ATR standards.
• Develop documentation and training of routine database administration tasks and train server operations staff on these tasks.
• Responsible for ETL of large text files (1 TB +) into SQL Server
• Author and modify SQL Server Reporting Services reports.
• Responsible for SQL Server Capacity planning
• Perform SQL Server integration with enterprise applications.
• Must currently possess a TS/SCI with Poly to be considered
• Bachelor's (or equivalent) plus 8+ years of experience, including 6+ years working as a Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator (DBA).
• 6+ years w/ Development and integration of SQL database services in an enterprise environment.
• 3+ years working w/ large databases (1 TB+)
• 3+ years working in a clustered Windows environment.
• 2+ years working w/ AlwaysOn Availability Groups.
• 3+ years w/ SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
• 3+ years w/ SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS
Experience with installing and configuring Microsoft SQL instances for one or more of the following areas:
• Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Support Services
• Infrastructure Services
• SharePoint Services
Required Certification: Sec+